Friday, August 17, 2012

A series of bad Fridays


I am flattered that Eleanor wants to be like me. With the shape of her fingers and toes, and those chipmunk cheeks, she's got a good start on looking like me. I had to explain to her that some things I'd rather she wait to mimic.

3 weeks ago my granddad fell. They* thought he broke his hip. At the hospital it was determined that his hip wasn't broken, but an old injury had been exacerbated. Other complications arose and he died.

2 weeks ago, Eleanor's granddad** fell. They thought he broke his hip. At the hospital it was determined that his hip wasn't broken, but an old injury had been exacerbated. Other complications arose and he died a week ago.

It's been a series of bad Fridays around here.

J wrote a great post about his dad over on his blog, and I don't have much more to add to that. Randy loved his family. He loved being a grandfather and was delighted to spend time with all the babies. He always said I was his favorite daughter-in-law. As it turns out, I'm also my Aunt Cheryl's favorite niece. Mostly because there is no competition in either category.

Tonight we had a party. A jam session and a time to tell stories to celebrate Randy's life. Those are the two things I remember him doing most--telling stories and playing music.

* "They" being medical professionals
** He was almost exactly 30 years younger than my granddad

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...