Thursday, May 24, 2012

Interesting Times

May you live in interesting times

J once told me that was an old Chinese curse or blessing, depending on how it's said. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but things have definitely been interesting, though not in the Firefly/Serenity* sense. 

A couple of Fridays ago, J called, from Canada, where he'd spent the week training at the home office, to say that his early morning flight home had been cancelled. He wouldn't be getting home until 5pm instead of 9am. Bummer. Silver lining: if he gets home at 5, he won't go to faire for the day, so I get to see him for dinner and stuff before bed, instead of just for a few minutes between feedings. Hooray!

I got to the airport right on time, with The Squnchler sleeping in the back seat, which felt like a major accomplishment. She started fussing when I parked, and from the smell, needed a fresh diaper. I grabbed her in her car seat, a diaper & the wipes from the diaper bag and set all of that on the ground next to the car. I set my purse on the back seat, closed the door and went to the front seat to change said diaper. Only the front door was locked. And so was the back door. And all the doors. With my keys safely in my purse. Also, J's keys which he had given to me while he traveled. Yep. Locked out of the car. Thank God I had the baby with me. My cell phone was inside, so I grabbed the baby, the diaper & wipes and headed to the terminal to meet my husband. It was not the joyful reunion I'd hoped for. I felt like a giant failure and crazy lady. 

I have a very long rant where I tell you all the things that are wrong with A-1 Locksmith, but I will sum up with this: It took them an hour an a half to show up, an HOUR of which was after they told me they were just 15-20 minutes away. 

We had glorious plans of dropping the baby off with my folks and having a little pre-Mother's Day dinner, just the two of us. By the time we got back into the car, it was already 8pm, so dinner became the three of us at Olive Garden. Which was really nice, despite all the crappy feelings of a night's plan gone completely to pieces. 

Sunday got off to a wonderful start. Eleanor slept pretty well, I had waffles for breakfast and my folks & I got on the road to Scarborough Faire. We arrived just in time to catch the last song of J's first set. After saying hello to some friends, I took the baby backstage to feed her. La-di-da, everything is fine. Mom & I are walking back down the stairs to go meet J & Dad at the Queen Anne's Lace show. Mom is holding the baby, I've got the diaper bag and purses. I made it all the way to the last step. Then... I don't know. My foot slipped, my ankle rolled, there was a loud pop and I fell. First Aid was called. I was taken in a cart up to the front gate where they iced and wrapped my ankle. Mark, my favorite EMT, suggested I get it x-rayed. I thought my day at faire was over and ruined. It's my right foot, so driving was out of the picture, meaning I was going to have to ruin my parents' day too. Then my dad drove up in a little motorized scooter and the day was saved! I got to do all my visiting and sightseeing from the comfort of my little hot wheels. Spending the day with my mom and showing off Eleanor was just what I wanted. Oh, and I got to attend my brother's wonderful wine show for the first time. It did not disappoint.

The good news is after an x-ray, all I have is a bad sprain and some really ugly bruises. Oh, and this:

It's an unpopular opinion on my Twitter stream, but I do like heart-shaped jewelry. Especially lockets and pendants. This one is pale, pale, pale pink Swarovski crystal, and I love it. 

tiny hands
So, to sum up: locked keys in car, sprained ankle, pretty jewelry. Taking care of a baby with a gimped ankle isn't as bad as I thought, mostly because I avoided the use of crutches and that makes me extremely grateful. I must say though, getting to my doctor's appointments those first two days was pretty funny. My friend Heather, who is Eleanor's Diva Godmother**, came to drive me, which was wonderfully sweet...but funny too, seeing as how she's got a bum ankle due to an Achilles Tendon thingy. We were Gimped & Gimpy.

Squnchler has made it past the 10lb mark, weighing in at a hefty 10lb 4oz yesterday morning. She is smiling in response to stimuli now, which makes my day. She can see & focus on things much better now & is starting to take an interest in the toys dangling from her reclining chair thingy. I've figured out to shower when it's just the two of us. We're making the switch from disposable diapers to cloth by way of some GroVia hybrids--reusable cloth shell, disposable liner. It's pretty neat. I just want to be able to walk a little better before I have to start the extra laundry stuff involved in the cloth diapering.  

The 6 week growth spurt kinda kicked our hiney, but after one of the roughest nights we've had--she slept, but the feeding thing was so very, very painful--we had a wonderful snuggly morning. All of my parts feel a million times better and things are looking up. Also, more smiling is happening, so that makes everything better!

*"Define 'interesting'." "'Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die.'?"


Wolfieswitch said...

Love this update, thanks for keeping us in the loop! I love your blog and your baby stories. Adventures of Linnea never disappoint..

beylit said...

I was so excited to see you and Eleanor. I heard you were there as I was eating lunch and was a little distraught at the thought that I might miss the two of you. I should have known you would be at kid whack. She is so very beautiful. Good job!

Elsha said...

That really sucks about your ankle. At least it was just a sprain though.

I like the necklace! I'm not anti-heart jewelry; I actually have a couple heart necklaces myself.

I can't believe she's over 10 lbs already! She's going to catch up with Daniel any day now.

Laura Diniwilk said...

Tiny baby hands! I die. Glad to see that you are doing well (ankle notwithstanding). The purse...sigh. Welcome to motherhood. I had stuff fly off the top of my car twice in one month due to too many babies and not enough hands or sleep. Baby hands and smiles do make it significantly better though.

Jessica said...

That necklace is pretty! Also, OMG BABY HANDS.

I'm glad your ankle is getting better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...