Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Technological marvel





Here I am, watching the Lunar Eclipse live on YouTube.

It's geeky and I love it. Watching the transition from what looks just like a regular crescent moon to this glowing orange thing of craziness. So, here's some info about this lunar eclipse: Thanks Wikipedia!






I'm a little peeved that North America is the only continent left out of the viewing party though. "The 100-minute-long celestial event will be spotted best from South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia." That's 5 of the 6 populated continents on the planet. Sheesh!

Thankfully, through the wonders of technology, I can see the whole thing without even setting foot outside. The "presenters" or whatever that keep chatting on behind the picture of the moon are talking up the next solar eclipse which happens in Australia. Now I really want to figure out a way to go to Australia to watch the sky turn black during a solar eclipse...

Except for the fact that while I like the idea of travel, I'm not really good at actual travel. I mean, I don't think I am. I haven't had extensive opportunities to travel. I went on some cool trips as a kid with my parents. Car trips to Reno and camping and skiing sometimes. We went to Hawaii and even took a trip to Yellowstone when I was mostly an adult. But as an adult the only trip I've taken has been to Ireland for our honeymoon... which was INCREDIBLE. My husband wants to go back as soon as humanly possible. I... I think it was great, but for me, it was great because it was such a rare thing, you know? I like to spend most of my time at home, in comfort, with the people I know and like and my things and my cats. I think I want to see things, but the idea of actually traveling and doing the stuff associated with traveling, especially to very exotic places... well, it sort of freaks me out. There. I've confessed. I'm not an adventure-seeking travel junkie! I like comfort! Air conditioning and familiar food. Speaking the language of the strangers on the street and knowing what to do in an emergency. I like those things.

I think if I had the opportunity to travel I would take it. Take the risk and do the crazy stuff required to leave the country and see other cultures. I think I would. However, I'm pretty much stuck in the States until such time as more funds become available for things like international travel. I might make a trip to San Antonio this summer. That might be my travel option for now. Not that you have to leave the country to see cool stuff. The US has lots of neat things to see and diverse climates and stuff. Plenty of exotic things to see in my own "back yard" right? But... India... Isreal... the other side of the world, which is Indonesia. I only know that because I have friends who moved there, and other friends who are going to visit those friends in a few weeks. "I" countries, I seem to like those. Again, in theory. In theory, I love the idea of seeing new things, meeting new people, doing new things. In reality, I think I'd like it for a little while, then want to be home. So I guess I could settle on short trips... not a life-long world traveler, but maybe weekend trips... but then would you get to do all the things you want to? I mean, I haven't even seen and done all the things in my own city that I want to do and I've been here for almost 8 years! I like the idea of seeing far away places, but know that at heart I'm more house-cat than mountain lion... right?

Ok, so the bottom line is:

Lunar Eclipse- Totally cool
Exotic Travel- Undecided



EDIT: I still love the thought of travel and have a "desire" to see so many different places, but after hearing more and more stories from friends and what-not about the realities of travel, I think I've sort of realized that I like to dream about traveling more than I might actually enjoy travel to some of the more exotic places on my "wish list."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...