Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Slap-dash

Some random points, because that's what I've got right now.

I have had a really productive week. This is good for me to note and remember so when a rough patch hits, I can look back and see proof that I did stuff. Monday was a Red Letter, Gold Star day. I went to the post office, washed diapers, folded laundry, took a shower, vacuumed the bedroom and cooked dinner. While taking care of the Eleanor!

Tuesday I had a play date with my friend Natalie from book club, went back to the post office, to Target & Babies R Us. I was searching for an outfit for her to wear for her 3 month portraits. I have a coupon, so I'm going to have The Picture People take some photos. I have her socks all picked out, and now I need an outfit to match them. Sounds backwards, right? Usually you pick the outfit, then the socks. Well, these are special, ruffly giraffe socks given to Eleanor by her Diva Godmother.

I am in complete denial of how old she is. When people ask, my brain refuses to cough up "3 months." I keep trying to say she'll be a month on Saturday, instead of three months. I want to say it in weeks, because 13 weeks means someone else has to do the math and I can remain blissfully unaware that by all definitions, she's no longer a newborn. She's an infant.

Speaking of which, it's really official. She can't wear her newborn stuff anymore, cloth diapers or not. She's too long. I still put the dresses on her, because, come on! She's a baby. Her diaper is going to show anyway.

Also, people have asked if we'll call her Ellie or some other shortened form. If we do, I'm leaning towards Ella, since that was the original inspiration for her name, but honestly, I just call her Eleanor. That is, when I'm not calling her Squnchler, or Baby Girl, or Rumble Butt, or some other thing that pops into my head. I guess I sort of feel like I don't know her well enough to give her a nickname yet, of the shortened-name variety. Weird but true. We'll have to see what fits her as she grows.

I'm serious, people. If you have the ability to be in DFW on July 21st, you should come to my house. Kammah is making a jelly roll. Peach Melba something fabulous.

I'm learning to embrace spontaneity. Since Eleanor isn't exactly consistent in her scheduling of things, I never really know what's a good time to do anything. I can make some guesses, but they are just that. Some days, your guess is as good as mine. I've always been bad at spontaneous invitations. Well, no. I'm pretty good at responding favorably to spontaneous invitations, but I'm bad at giving them. It just doesn't occur to me that other people might actually be available at a moment's notice to hang out, go eat, do stuff. So, thank you to all my friends who are good at making spontaneous invitations. I'm hoping to join you by mastering that skill soon.

My mornings are sort of like this:


And this has started happening:

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I wish I could come on 21st. We will be in Austin. :(
She's a doll! Glad you could come over!

Erica Huff said...

I don't think I called Anna "Anna" until she was at least one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...