Monday, November 1, 2010

Whistle while you work to a happy little working song

Chores.  We all have them.  We all do them.  There are some that are better than others.

The chores that I avoid at all costs (at this point in my life I relegate them to my husband):
  • sweeping/mopping
  • ironing
  • yard work of any kind
The chores I avoid or try to pass off to my husband as often as possible:
  • taking out the trash
  • cleaning litter boxes
  • cleaning the bathroom (especially sinks)
The chores I don't particularly like or mind:
  • dishes (though I like the emptying of the dishwasher more than the loading)
  • washing/drying laundry (by which I mean the taking of clothes to the washing maching & transfering to the dryer)
  • folding/hanging clothes (gives me an excuse to watch a movie)
The chores I really like to do:
  • vacuum!  It's fast, it makes noise, and it makes an immediate & noticable difference in the appearance of a room. 
  • Put the folded/hung clothes away.  It frees up so much space & makes me feel like I can go shopping in my own closet again.
  • Organizing the miscelaneous crud that accumulates on our horizontal surfaces.  I'm just weird like that.
The purpose of this is really to help me put off doing some chores right now actually. 
The laundry is starting to take over the bedroom.  It's crawled out of the hamper and is working it's way across the floor.  Soon it will gain consciousness and start demanding to be fed left socks and buttons to keep it placated.  Which is sad, because we do laundry all the time, by which I mean more than once a week.  The washing machine doesn't stay empty for long, and I have quite the impressive lint collection from the dryer trap thingie. 

So how is it possible that I can have a never-ending stream of dirty clothes?  On those rare occassions where all the laundry except what is on our bodies is washed, dried, folded & put away, I feel an overwhelming sense of accomplishment akin to euphoria.  And it lasts for about 2.6 minutes.  That's when I realize that somehow the hamper is full again, though we didn't change clothes, shower, or dirty any additional towels, sheets or other machine-washable things.  It's as if the hamper were a cornucopia of dirty clothes.

And honestly, who wants that.  Cornucopias should be full of good things, like candy corn and fresh green beans and baked potatoes and gift cards to Target and fortune-building investment strategies and paper clips and Ziplock baggies and Q-tips.

Alright... back to the laundry now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...