Thursday, March 24, 2011

It's about the Reflex...

Once upon some time ago, my brother and his lovely wife were driving (well, I imagine he was driving and she was riding, but you get my drift) down the road when "The Reflex" by Duran Duran came on the radio.  The following conversation (or something like it) ensued:

Wife: What is this song about?!?
Brother: It's about the reflex...

Yeah, he's like that.  So, we* have been thinking about other songs that we blithely sing along to and have no clue what they're about.  I mean, I sang along to "Wild Thing" and "Woolly Bully" as a child and never really had any idea that they were about anything other than a monster that lived in the woods.  Also, one incredibly embarrassing evening, my brother** and I were in the kitchen doing the dishes after dinner.  I'm not sure how the topic came up--maybe I was humming a tune, maybe he was, but somehow the discussion turned to Salt-n-Pepa's "Push it."  I was, I think 7 or 8 at the time, and he, being older by 7 years, was challenging me about that song's underlying subtext... or overlying regular text.  He basically said something to the effect of "you don't even know what that song is about."  I, as an uppity, wanna be know-it-all little sister, gave the classic answer: "Uh-huh!"  Did I really know what the song was about?  Um... no, and he called my bluff.  He wanted me to tell him.  I didn't want to be found out, so I said I didn't know the words, but I knew a dance... really?!?!  That was my brilliant escape plan?  So for what felt like hours but was probably only a few minutes, my brother tried to convince me to show him my super-fly dance move that explained the song while I wriggled and blushed and tried to explain why that was never going to happen.  a) I didn't want to get caught doing it and get in trouble--to which he offered to take the blame. 2) I wasn't sure that I really could do it because I'd never practiced--to which he said something brilliant, I'm sure, along the lines of "no time like the present" and D) Um... I don't know, I was young and embarrassed.  Finally, I gave in and performed a few half-hearted hip thrusts.  I remember wanting to melt into the linoleum with humiliation... but I can't remember what happened next.  Did he laugh at me, roll his eyes?  Probably both, but I couldn't tell you.

Anyway, on to the not-very-long-list-of-songs-I-can't-figure-out-what-they're-about*** portion of this post:
  • Seal-Kiss from a Rose on a Grave.  Seriously?  What's that all about
  • Everything by Radiohead in the history of ever.
  • um... this list was going to be longer...
  • I really thought I had more examples...
  • So, Internet! Provide me with your examples instead!
  

*We is mostly me
**Same brother, I only have the one.
***It's short because I can't think of more songs at the moment, not because I inherently understand all the subtext and nuances of modern lyricists... I really, really don't.  I think I also just don't care to look too deeply most of the time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...