Monday, November 7, 2011

Butt covers

Today, I shall talk about butt covers--specifically things to cover a baby's butt, like these:



Have I mentioned that we're going to try cloth diapering? Well we are. And so far, everyone we've told has been really nice about the ways that they've called us crazy, so that's good. My mom even started researching how to make them! How awesome is that?  I might have to learn to sew, but that's a far away ambition at the moment. I probably never would have even thought of cloth diapers, because, in my sheltered little world, no one did that anymore. Then, there was the internet, and I read blogs and  it turns out, it's not all safety pins and vinyl pants. There are options, and after reading A LOT about how to do it, I decided to give it a try--for the money saving and the cute factor more than the environment or the comfort of my yet-to-be-born baby, if I'm being honest, which today I am.

Also, I say "try" because I don't want to assume that just because other people have done it that I will somehow be able to manage it as well. I hope I can. I hope that the extra laundry is just part and parcel of having a tiny, screaming poop machine. It honestly seems doable. Some people have rolled their eyes and given me their most sarcastic "good luck" and you know what, if they're right, they're right, but they're not always right, so I think it's worth a shot.

Anyway, buying diapers is one of those things I'm trying to do slowly, over time, because it can be expensive to get started. I mean, if we were doing disposables, we'd be grabbing a little bit every time we went to the grocery store, so I'm trying to sort of do the same with the cloth diapers. I have 10 so far. 3 hybrid styles (GroVia)--where the liner part is disposable, but the shell is reusable. 3 pocket kind (FuzziBunz) and 4 All-in-twos. They are all in colors appropriate for both boys & girls. Since this fetus didn't give us an early sneak peek, I have refrained from buying anything hot pink just yet. Purple, blue, green & yellow however are all up for grabs. So, I've been looking for sales & trying to make sure that what I'm paying for in shipping doesn't negate the sale price, and 10 diapers is almost one day of diapers. I do want to get some prefolds & covers too, and have gotten excellent recommendations (from my sister-in-law and my internet ladies). Like, Nala's Fluffy Bums. Yes, I bought a one-of-a-kind, limited edition poop holder, but it is so frickin' cute, I can't even stand it!! And there's a new batch going on sale today, and... yes, I'm hitting refresh every 5 seconds to try to get another one. Because... it's what I can do.


7 comments:

Jessica M said...

Have fun! I sometimes wish I'd started with cloth diapers. Instead, I wen the super couponing route and managed to diaper my first child for less than the cost of cloth diapers - and no laundry! I'm SO SICK OF COUPONS, though. I don't want to do it anymore, but I also don't want to buy an entire stash of cloth diapers...

LWilleng said...

My brothers and I were clothed diapered (back when you know it was an actual clothe and safety pin) and I have had several friends do it and be successful. You can too!! I cheer you on!!

Rikie said...

You do it your way!! No one else will ever have a family like yours and only you know what will work within your marriage and/or raising your kids. Cloth diapers? Go for it!! (I hate laundry so it would have never worked for us. *grin* )

Heather said...

I thought you were crazy til I saw how cute they were! Anyway, you guys have always seemed to make your crazy work for you....so there's that. =)

auhl said...

We are also planning to cloth diaper. I have a friend who has given me lots of info and has several patterns and will make them on commission. I have also been looking at gdiapers, they are cloth with two insert options, one flushable, the other washable, both very earth friendly.

Kara Smith Laubenstein said...

hi linnea...just thought I would throw my 2 cents in here (because, hey...why not??) I just potty trained my 2 year old out of cloth diapers. I used Bum Genius diapers & washed them myself. it IS time & labor intensive. you do have to wash poop out of diapers with your bare (or gloved) hands. BUT, it is definitely do-able. cottonbabies.com is a great resource. in fact, I got an email this morning that they were having a sale on "seconds" of Bum Genius diapers. I tried CuteyBaby diapers & they were a massive FAIL. I have had & continue to have several friends who love & trust bum genius diapers. GOOD LUCK!

Erica Huff said...

We've done cloth diapers from the beginning and I've never regretted it. Now that we have our second, we don't have to spend any more money on diapers because we're already totally stocked. Plus, the cuteness!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...