Thursday, November 17, 2011

Things that are half done

First of all, NaBloPoMo is halfway done. Little more than... it was 1/2 way on the 15th, since November has 30 days.

Coincidentally enough, so was this pregnancy. Half-way done on the 15th, not having only 30 days.

Also, I think fall is about half-way done here in my neck of the woods. We've been having lovely cool (less than 80 degrees) weather and the trees are turning colors for a while now, so I don't expect too much more loveliness before the leaves all become Things To Get Off of the Driveway and it starts in with the chilly & the rainy. That's what counts as winter around here, by the way. I love it. After 10+ years in the lands of the ice & snow from October to April, I am completely willing to trade months of 100+ temperatures for a week of sleet and then back to just chilly &windy.

Despite the lack of "real winter" here, I still enjoy getting back to my natural habitat--under the covers. I like to sleep with a comforter on the bed year round. In the summer, this means that there is a comforter on just my half of the bed, because my husband can break out into a sweat if it is 60 degrees... mostly he claims because of non-moving air. This is one of the prime conflicts in our sleeping/living habits. He wants air to be blowing on him all the time, all day, all night, regardless of temperature. I only want to feel the air touching me if I'm actively sweating, which rarely happens if it's less than 85. So, to compromise and find marital bliss, I live under the covers. On the couch, in the computer room, in bed--I am subcomforterrainian - (adj) existing deep beneath the surface of the comforter. This lovely word my husband shred with me today, and now I'm sharing it with all of you.

Also, we've noticed a distinct increase in the number of subcomforterrainian cats in our house lately. For reference, this is the semi-normal state of affairs: (number of cats may vary)

All cats on top of the covers.


Lately, I've been seeing more of this:

And some of this:


Now, to explain, Ruzulka (on the right) was curled up, on my pillow, under the covers next to me, quite content to be subcomforterrainian. Then, Valkyrie (Left & above) decided that SHE wanted to be on the bed too, and rather than take up any of the other 10.5 square feet of space left to her, she had to lay down on top of me...and then lean... on top of her sister... who was under the covers... 

I guess the 5 degree temperature drop in the house is enough to draw all the critters under the covers. Except the dog, who isn't allowed on the bed because he's too big. He can be on the couch, underneath his own covers if he wants... or putting his face in the moving air like J does. After all, the cats are clearly my animals, and the dog his... and that's just as it should be. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...